Information for companies on how to hire international interns
IO New York & IO USA
Over the past years many companies decided to start an internship program together with IO New York & IO USA. 96% of the companies who hired international interns via IO New York continued to do so! We offer a free inter recruitment service and we would be more than happy to provide our service for your organization!.
Why do companies choose for us?
We are affiliated with several top Universities in Europe, thus we can increase your talent pool. We can provide your organization with interns and trainees that meets your companies requirements on regular basis. All interns are screened by IO New York via a qualitative screening process done by IO New York representatives. IO New York handles the entire application process with little to no paperwork for the host organization! On top of that: There are no costs or any fees for the companies working with IO New York.
What are the benefits of hiring international Interns with IO New York?
- Qualified and professional interns/trainees: All applicants applying to your company have been pre-screened by IO New York. During the interview their English, skills and desire for a program placement in the U.S are assessed, ensuring only highly motivated and ambitious applicants.
- All Inters are eligible and pre-screened for the J-1 Exchange Visa. There are no visa or sponsorship costsinvolved for the host company. IO New York handles the entire application process with little to no paperwork for the host organization. The entire visa process is free of charge for the host company.
- By hiring international interns you will cut costs: You do not pay Medicare, Social Security or Unemployment Taxes on International Students.
- IO New York is affiliated with over 60 top universities in Europe. We expand your talent pool and can provide your company with quality candidate applications who meet the company requirements on regular basis.
- Our partnership programs means there is minimum paperwork for the company and you will have spent less valuable time on the screening and hiring process. IO New York is a registered J-1 Exchange Visa partner with several sponsor organizations in the U.S. We have our in-house J-1 Visa Service, which allows us to handles all the J-1 Visa applications as smooth as possible and require little time to do so.
- International students are fluent in English and other languages including German, French and Spanish.
- Minimal paperwork for the host companies. All paperwork is handled by the applicant and IO New York.
- Our service (including the entire visa process) is completely free of charge for the host company. With little to no paperwork for the host company.
- Increase your talent pool with highly motivated, eager to learn, ambitious and skilled interns.
- International interns brings an unique and enriching diversity to your business.
- 96% of the companies who hired international interns via IO New York continued to do so!
The qualifications for hosting companies in the U.S. are as follows:
- Providing a training program that is closely related to the intern/trainee’s education or area of expertise, with a minimum of 32 hours per week.
- Possessing a Worker’s Compensation insurance policy.
- Having an official office location (freelance or home offices are not eligible).
- Having at least a ratio of three employees per intern.
- A possible site visit for companies with less than 25 employees. Or earning less than $3 million in revenue per year
The host company is responsible for 3 forms of documentation pertaining to the J-1 visa:
1. Providing a copy of an updated Worker’s Compensation insurance policy
2. Signing a training plan that outlines the intern/trainee’s tasks during the training period. The training plan will be developed by IO New York.
3. Signing a Host Company Agreement that will be filled out by IO New York with your company’s information, including address, contact person, number of employees company-wide, and Employer Identification number (EIN).
Frequently Asked Questions:
Where Do Our Students Come From?
We receive most applications from The Netherlands, as this is where our headquarters are situated. We also predominantly receive applications from the Germany, United Kingdom, Belgium, Sweden, Finland, Spain, China and Norway.
Are there any costs for host companies in New York?
No. There are absolutely no costs for hosting companies.
Would we get applicants to choose from or would IO New York do this for us? IO New York provides the listed companies with portfolios from our candidates who meet the companies requirements. Companies can then decide whether they would like to invite the candidate for an interview and go from there.
J-1 Exchange Visa
Our students will apply for a J-1 Exchange visa, which is processed by the In-house Visa Service from IO New York. Which means little to no paperwork for the host companies.
How long does it takes for a interns to apply for the J-1 Exchange Visa?
The visa application is typically 4-6 weeks. However, the entire process may take longer depending on how quickly all the necessary documents are received with signature.
What kind of students apply?
The students that apply are highly motivated students looking for ways to improve themselves and their resume by gaining international experience. All students are screened by IO New York through a qualitative screening process done by IO New York representatives.
We are not located in New York, can we still propose an internship position?
Yes. With our sister company IO USA we offer internships and traineeships in all major cities in U.S.
Can we offer final/gradudation internship positions to J-1 candidates?
We receive on a daily basis applications from students looking for companies or organizations within which they can complete their graduation internship. If your organization is looking for students to conduct a research assignment, we can help you find a suitable candidate. These students will then work 4 to 6 months on the research topic and will present the results upon completion of the internship. Examples of graduation assignments:
- Customer Experience.
- Target Market Research.
- Company Strategy.
- Structural Issues.
Feel free to propose your own subjects!
Attendance Internships are generally full time office hours with a minimum of 32 hours (J-1 visa requirements). Interns & companies can discuss hours/days to suit both parties. Internships tend to have general duration of 4 to 6 months with a maximum of 12 months. Traineeships can last up to 18 months.
Due to J-1 Visa regulations, all international students need a Health Insurance that meets the U.S. Department of State’s requirements to be able to apply for a J-1 exchange visa. The student insurance plan is checked and screened by the sponsor organization in the U.S.
Do we have to provide housing for the interns?
No. IO New York assists participants in finding housing, and plans the participant's travel, all at no cost to the host company.
What are the working fields students apply for?
We can provide your organization with interns and trainees in the following fields:
- Finance / Risk Management / Accounting
- Business (Development)
- Marketing / Sales
- Communications / Public Relations
- Logistics / (International) Trade
- Human Resources
- IT / Programming
How can I propose available internships?
Please contact Lennart Willem van Breugel to propose available internship positions. Email: Lennart(@)io-usa.com